P: (615) 238-6305
F: (615) 687-2763
Stephen Zralek helps clients resolve disputes through intellectual property (IP) litigation, business litigation and entertainment litigation. His IP cases involve copyrights, trademarks, rights of publicity, trade secrets, non-compete violations, defamation and domain disputes, and his entertainment disputes cover everything from royalty disputes, estate disputes, disputes between celebrities and managers, and fights over who gets to keep the band name. In addition to representing clients from the Nashville area, Stephen is routinely called on by clients, lawyers and in-house counsel from other cities to represent them here or to serve as local counsel in Tennessee state and federal courts. Additionally, clients in the political realm call on Stephen to advise them on legal issues and election contests.
Stephen on… law, life and passion.
Stephen is a frequent speaker and author on copyright law and other IP and social media law. In May 2016 he presented “Infringement or Homage: It’s All Blurred Lines: Copyright Fair Use in 2016” at the MusicBiz Law & Technology Conference. He has been quoted by USA Today, Managing IP and Young Entrepreneur; and featured in the ABA Journal. He co-authored “The Pro-IP Act: Another Weapon Against a Failing Economy,” published by the ABA’s Landslide magazine, as well as “Race is On to Recapture Copyrights,” published by the Tennessean. He previously chaired the American Bar Association Copyright Litigation Committee for the IP Law Section.
Upon graduating from law school, Stephen served as a judicial clerk to the Honorable Thomas A. Wiseman, Jr., of the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee.
Stephen was born and raised in Nashville. He and his wife, an interior designer, have two children.
Recent Representative Cases
- Kenyon v. Clare (M.D. Tenn. 2016): Copyright and trademark dispute involving books, movie and television programs.
- Nashville Latino TV Broadcast Group LLC v. JKB Associates, Inc. (TN Business Court 2016): Breach of contract and trade secret case; Obtained TRO, preliminary injunction and award of contempt over Defendants.
- Sony/ATV Music Publishing, LC v. Slep-Tone Entertainment Corp. (M.D. Tenn. 2014-15): copyright infringement case.
- Estate of Kosie Gardner (probate court Nashville – 2014): Estate dispute involving royalties.
- Iroquois Group, Inc. v. Iroquois Capital Group, Inc. (M.D. Tenn. 2016): trademark dispute.
- Resnik v. Fuji Music Group, Inc. (state court TN 2015): obtained dismissal under doctrine of forum non conveniens; royalty dispute.
- Prichard’s Distillery, Inc. v. Sazerac Company, Inc. (M.D. Tenn.2014): trademark infringement dispute.
- Critter Control, Inc. v. Elite Critter Control (6th Cir. 2015): obtained affirmance of summary judgment for plaintiff in service mark infringement dispute.
- Murphy v. SoundVision Technologies, LLC (M.D. Tenn.2015): copyright dispute
- Bulso v. O’Shea (MD Tenn. 2015): Malicious prosecution action.
- Lamon Records Corp v. Edgmon (M.D. Tenn.2015): copyright infringement dispute.
- Marshall v. ESPN (MD Tenn. 2014): lead counsel in right of publicity class action.
- Cassetty v. McCreery (state court Nashville 2014): obtained jury verdict for plaintiff in breach of contract action in entertainment dispute.
- RA Pearson Co. v. Pearpack, Inc. (E.D. Wash. 2014) trademark dispute.
- LPI, Inc. v. ESB Enterprises, LLC (E.D. Tenn. 2014) business dispute.
- Lynch v. Urban Dev. Group, LLC (state court TN 2014-present): breach of contract and misrepresentation dispute.
- Nason Homes, LLC v. Singletary Construction, Inc. (M.D. Tenn. 2015-16): copyright dispute; obtained summary judgment for defendant.
- Georgia Cartage Express, Inc. v. Worldbridge Logistics, Inc. (M.D. Tenn. 2015): trademark dispute
- Greene v. PTS of America, LLC (M.D. Tenn. 2016): Set aside judgment after showing that Plaintiff failed to obtain proper service on defendant.
- Franchise Risk Solutions, Inc. v. Petcoff (TN Business Court 2016): trade secret and breach of fiduciary duty claims.
- Patel v. Hughes (MD Tenn 2014): copyright dispute.
- Reinsdorf v. Academy Sports Ltd. (M.D. Tenn. 2013): copyright infringement over photographs used on apparel.
- Mars, Inc. v. Bil-Jac Foods, Inc. (M.D. Tenn. 2013): trade dress dispute.
- iCitizen Corp. v. CitySourced, Inc. (M.D. Tenn. 2013): trademark dispute.
- Opry Mills Mall Ltd. Psp. V. Arch Ins. Co. (state court Nashville 2012-15): business dispute
- Anon Arts, LLC v. DigiCel (M.D. Tenn. 2013): mobile app dispute over trademarks
- Wells v. Chattanooga Bakery & Dr Pepper Snapple Group (Tenn. Ct. App. 2013): Obtained affirmance on appeal and dismissal in trial court by successfully showing that right of publicity dispute against maker/distributor of MoonPie and RC Cola was preempted by copyright.
- Wannado, Inc. v. The Active Network, Inc. (M.D. Tenn. 2013): trademark infringement and cybersquatting dispute.
- Clean Control Corporation v. Simpson (W.D.N.C. 2013): trademark infringement and cybersquatting domain name dispute involving hunting products.
- Gaither Music Company, Inc. v. GaitherTV.com (UDRP 2013): domain dispute.
- SRI v. Bealls, Inc. (S.D. Tex. 2013): trademark dispute.
- Daigre & Teague v. Lacy (M.D. Tenn. 2013): trade dress and unfair competition dispute over furniture design.
- Baker v. Doe (state court Nashville 2013): anonymous online defamation.
- Metal Quest, Inc. v. Vaughn Mfg. (state court Nashville 2012): theft of trade secrets.
- Estate of Vern Gosdin v. Potvin (state court Nashville 2012): obtained dismissal after convincing court that dispute was preempted by Copyright Act.
- Middle Tennessee Lumber v. Edwards (state court Nashville 2012): non-compete, theft of trade secrets and unfair competition dispute.
- Righthaven v. Newman (D. Nev. 2011): obtained dismissal in copyright infringement dispute involving blog posting of newspaper article.
- Schacht v. DreamFire LLC (M.D. Tenn. 2011): obtained preliminary injunction in cybersquatting dispute.
- Locorriere v. Sawyer (state court Nashville 2011): Dissolved TRO in dispute over which former lead singer had right to use the band name in touring and merchandise.
- John C. Flood v. John C. Flood (D.C. Cir. 2011): trademark dispute.
- Nutro Inc. v. Sergeant’s Pet Care, Inc. (M.D. Tenn. 2010): trade dress dispute over packaging.
- The Coca-Cola Company v. The O-Company NV (M.D. Tenn. 2010): trade dress dispute over shape of water bottles.
- Arista Music v. Time Warner, Inc. (M.D. Tenn. 2009): copyright infringement dispute regarding use of music on the Ellen DeGeneres Show.
- USMLEWorld v. Olalekan (MD Tenn 2009): copyright infringement dispute over software.
- Capital Confirmation, Inc. v. AuditConfirmations LLC (M.D. Tenn. 2009): trademark infringement dispute regarding Google AdWords.
- Hennion & Walsh, Inc. v. Aston Asset Mgmt LLC (D.N.J. 2009): trademark dispute and unfair competition dispute.
- Specific Software Solutions v. Institute of WorkComp Advisors, LLC (M.D. Tenn.2009): copyright dispute regarding website content.
- Documentary Channel, Inc. v. Pyxix Corporation (M.D. Tenn. 2008): trademark dispute.
- C&C Imports, Inc. v. Century Furniture Industries, Inc. (C.D. Cal. 2007): copyright and trade dress dispute involving furniture design.
- MacRae v. New Line Cinema Corp. (M.D. Tenn. 2007): copyright infringement dispute.
- Urban v. Urban (MD Tenn 2007): trademark and domain name dispute.
- Tennessee Walking Horse Breeders & Exhibitors Assn v. NWHA (M.D. Tenn. 2007): Obtained summary judgment for plaintiff in copyright infringement dispute.
- Percy Priest Extended Day Program: Board (2016-present)
- Family & Children’s Service: Advisory Board (2015-Present)
- The Children’s House of Nashville: Board Member (2013-Present)
- Conexión Américas: Chair of the Board (2013-2015); Board Member (2009-2016)
- Nashville For All of Us: Immediate Past Chair
- Family & Children’s Service: Chair of the Board of Directors (2007-08); Board Member (2001-09)
- WaterCooler, monthly networking group that highlights Nashville’s cultural richness and entrepreneurial spirit: Co-Founder and Co-Chair (2009-2013)
- University of Tennessee College of Law, J.D., 1997
- Dean's Citation for Outstanding Contributions
- Tennessee Law Review editorial board
- Xavier University, B.A., cum laude, 1994
- University Scholar
- Student Body President
- Alpha Sigma Nu officer
- Oxford University, Oriel College, 1996; Rowing Team
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee
- Tennessee Supreme Court
- Leadership Nashville, Class of 2014-15
- The Best Lawyers in America®
- Best of the Bar, Nashville Business Journal, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2010, 2009, 2006
- AV Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Super Lawyers - Mid-South for Intellectual Property Litigation, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011
- Super Lawyers - Tennessee: The Top 100 Attorneys, 2014
- Avvo 10 out of 10>
- American Bar Association
- Past Chair, Copyright Litigation Committee
- Trademark Litigation Committee and Sections of Litigation and Intellectual Property
- Nashville Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Section
- Federal Courts Section
- Tennessee Bar Association: Member & 2007 Leadership Law Program graduate