Quan concentrates his practice in the areas of land use and zoning regulations, regulatory compliance in real estate development, public–private partnerships, government relations, as well as general business litigation.
Prior to joining the firm, Quan served as an Assistant Metropolitan Attorney for the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County. During his time at Metro, Quan advised the Planning Department, Board of Zoning Appeals, and Metro Public Health Department amongst other departments. Quan also advised the Metro Codes Department on short-term rental property regulations and handled their enforcement in Environmental Court. Prior to working for Metro, Quan was an Assistant Public Defender for Shelby County Government. There, he was assigned to the office’s vertical representation team and handled all aspects of client representation from arraignment to trial.
Administrative and Regulatory Law Practice
- Advised the Metro Nashville Beer Permit Board permitting, enforcement, use restrictions of the beer laws within Metro Nashville.
- Obtained favorable outcomes handling Metro’s asset forfeiture matters before the Administrative Procedures Division.
- Successfully defended multiple employee disciplinary actions before the civil service commission and other personnel boards.
Land Use and Zoning
- Formed a thorough understanding of state and local zoning laws while providing legal advice to the Metro Planning Commission, Metro Planning Department, Historic Zoning Commission, and Board of Zoning Appeals.
- Reviewed all Metro Council zoning legislation for compliance with local, state, and federal law.
Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Won multiple bench trials in general sessions and circuit court and negotiated favorable settlements on behalf of the Metropolitan Government.
- Obtained favorable verdicts in criminal court jury trials.
Professional Recognition and Activities
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Nashville Bar Association
- Napier-Looby Bar Association
- Nashville Bar Foundation Leadership Forum ‘19
- Walk Bike Nashville, Board Member
- Urban Land Institute Nashville, Member
- Young Leader’s Council, Class 73
Quan officiates high school football as a member of the Middle Tennessee Football Officials Association (MTFOA). He also balances his love of great southern food with running, weightlifting, and softball.
Quan M. Poole in the News