For more than 45 years, Robert G. “Bob” McDowell has provided quality legal representation and counsel to the Middle Tennessee area. Bob serves as Of Counsel to Bone McAllester Norton. He concentrates his legal practice in the areas of real estate, administrative and regulatory, business law, and litigation. Mr. McDowell regularly advises clients on matters related to finance and banking law, business dissolutions and acquisitions, business torts, construction law, and UCC/sales secured transactions at the federal, state, and local levels.
In addition to his litigation practice, Bob works with the State Executive Branch, and the Departments of Economic & Community Development, Finance & Administration, Transportation, Commerce & Insurance, Department of Health, Department of Financial Institutions, Comptroller of the Treasury, and several others. He has served as Tennessee’s Loss Prevention Coordinator on behalf of the Attorneys’ Liability Assurance Society, Inc. (ALAS). From 1988 to 2017, Mr. McDowell was also former chair of the Fee Disputes Committee of the Nashville Bar Association.
Mr. McDowell has extensive experience in the areas of real estate, administrative and regulatory, business law, and litigation. His experience includes finance and banking law, business dissolutions and acquisitions, business torts, construction law, and UCC/sales secured transactions. Bob also has experience in alternative dispute resolution and arbitration, antitrust and trade regulatory matters, intellectual property litigation, franchise disputes, professional liability matters, and environmental litigation (Superfund). Bob’s experience also includes condemnation and eminent domain matters.
He focuses his current efforts related to administrative law on matters involving State of Tennessee government departments, commissions, and regulatory boards. In addition, he has experience representing gas pipeline companies in bond financings, real property, condemnations, civil litigation, easements and contracts.
Professional Recognition and Activities
- America's Top 100 Bet-the-Company Litigators® 2019
- AV© Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® since 2005 in the areas of Arbitration and Mediation, and Administrative/Regulatory Law
- Member – American, Tennessee and Nashville Bar Associations
- Member – Tennessee Bar Association Litigation Law Section Executive Council
- Member – Tennessee Supreme Court Historical Society
- Recognized By Best Lawyers 2018
- AV Peer Review Rated Preeminent Martindale-Hubbell
- Tennessee’s Loss Prevention Coordinator on behalf of the Attorneys’ Liability Assurance
- Society, Inc. (ALAS), 1988-2017
- Fee Disputes Committee of the Nashville Bar Association, former chair
- J.A.G.C. of the U.S. Army Reserve, member, 1968-1974
- Boy Scouts of America, former Assistant Scout Master
- Woodmont Christian Church, Elder and Deacon
- Vanderbilt University, Alumni Development Representative